Portrait

Diy

Adding a Headlight Buzzer to a 1986 Vanagon on October 5, 2014
  • vanagon
  • slug
  • diy
  • how-to
I’m usually closer to Siri than the light switch, so I made something that’ll let me talk to my lights. Read more about it here. on November 20, 2012
  • siri
  • diy
  • philips hue
Building an Intervalometer for the Panasonic GF1 on May 10, 2012
  • diy
  • electronics
  • intervalometer
  • panasonic gf1
Amplifier Update: Touch Part II, Being Tidy and Not Breaking Things on April 16, 2012
  • amplifier
  • diy
  • electronics
  • arduino
Photo on February 7, 2012
  • diy
  • google sketchup
  • amplifier
I put in some time last night working on my amplifier project again after I had received all of the remaining ICs and parts I need for the electronics late last year. One of the decisions I made was to have multiple inputs – a default for an Apple TV (or insert media box) and auxiliary (via minijack and Bluetooth) - and therefore a method of switching between the two. I don’t want to have any physical interaction for input switching when the use case is so clear cut. The default input is always the chosen input unless you want to play music from a phone or iPod (through minijack or BT) at which point it will switch automatically by detecting the signal. It should be (and is) smart enough to do this on its own. There is even a delay before switching back to the default input to accommodate song transitions. I was able to modify Rod Elliot’s Signal Detection Circuit, originally designed to toggle power to a subwoofer, to run on a 5V supply by using a LM358N dual op-amp and 2N3904 transistor and changing some of the resistor and cap values. I especially like this circuit because it allows the logic to be contained within a few chips in the analog section and doesn’t need to involve the Arduino or any of the digital components. It toggles the output high when a signal is detected and this goes to a diode OR gate (to be combined with an “active stream” signal from the BT board) and on to a Maxim MAX4616. The Maxim chip is a 4xSPST analog switch that works perfect for this application (toggling between two inputs) because 2 of the switches are normally open and the others normally closed. Also, it’s available in a DIP package that makes it easy to prototype, something that’s hard to find for this type of IC. Next: Solder the BT breakout board, hook it up to the summing op-amp and add it into the mix (so to speak) Solder all of the LEDs and the two drivers to some stripboard to prototype Troubleshoot until my eyes cave in on January 14, 2012
  • arduino
  • max4616
  • amplifier
  • diy
  • bluetooth
Testing resistor and cap values in Rod Elliot’s signal detection circuit. On an iPad. on November 30, 2011
  • audio
  • diy
  • circuits
  • ipad
I got some light diffusion film in the mail from Inventables. It’s a very cool website that serves up materials, components and tools that are hard to purchase on the small scale that DIYers usually operate on. I was impressed when the CEO followed up with me via email to find out what I was working on. on November 23, 2011
  • inventables
  • recommended
  • diy
Done: on November 15, 2011
  • diy
  • arduino
  • amplifier
Hey I saw your paint job on the #bike thread on tumblr. on October 16, 2011
  • bike
  • paint
  • diy
That’s a 120V mains plug in a cardboard box and a switching power supply, which I’m happy to report did not cause any fire or death when they were plugged in for the first time. on June 15, 2011
  • DIY
  • Arduino
  • PGA2311
  • amplifier
  • project
Look at what I made today! on April 13, 2011
  • diy
  • guitar effect
  • mxr distortion+
  • soldering