Most of the apps I work on get data from a server encoded as JSON, but playing around with JSON in Excel or the command line isn’t straightforward. At least that’s what I thought until I really started looking around for options. I’ve tried doing this in the past, and maybe I just didn’t Google the right things, because I had more success this time! 😁
I wanted to see if I could transform some data from Slack, and figured it would be an opportunity to try doing it in a shell. Specifically, I tried to get the distribution of messages sent by each user. I’ve ignored identifying user data so that I didn’t draw conclusions about anyone in particular, because there’s a lot of factors that could lead to some people sending more messages than others. With that out of the way, let’s get started.